Monday, January 4, 2016

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda



TITLE: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
AUTHOR: Becky Albertalli
RELEASE DATE: April 2015
PUBLISHER: Balzer + Bray
PAGES: 325 pages 
GENRE: Realistic Fiction, Humor, LGBT
OVERALL RATING: 4/5
APPROPRIATE AGE: grades 9-12


SUMMARY: Simon is an in-the-closet, high school junior with a secret online boyfriend named "Blue". The only thing Simon knows about Blue is that they go to the same school. Life is perfect, until one of his secret emails falls into the hands of the wrong person. Simon must find a way to come out before he is pushed out. 

WHAT I LIKED: I really enjoyed the story, the character of Simon, the humor, and the pure awkwardness of Simon's love life (or lack of one). I really think that every high school student, straight or gay, needs to read this book. To be able to see how Simon copes keeping his biggest secret, and the huge burden he feels of telling people; I believe would be a huge eye-opener to people on both sides. 

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:  I didn't like the language. There were a lot of curse words in this book, which made it inappropriate for my students in 7th-8th grade. I would have really liked making this available in my school library, but couldn't for that one reason.

READALIKES: Wonder by R.J. Palacio

BOOK TRAILER: none found



No comments:

Post a Comment