Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Glass Sword


cover_image

TITLE: Glass Sword
AUTHOR: Victoria Aveyard
RELEASE DATE: February 2016
PUBLISHER: HarperTeen
PAGES: 444 pages
GENRE: Fantasy
SERIES: Red Queen series
OVERALL RATING: 3/5
APPROPRIATE AGE: grades 9-12 


SUMMARY: Mare Barrow continues her struggle after Red Queen to live as a Red Blood with the powers of a Silver. She joins the Scarlet Guard as they lead a rebellion against the Silver Bloods who control their kingdom. Will she be able to find other New Bloods like herself, and will they be willing to risk their lives to help fight for freedom?

FAVORITE QUOTE: "I cling to Cal, Kilorn, Shade, to saving all the newbloods I can, because I am afraid of waking up to emptiness, to a place where my friends and family are gone and I am nothing but a single bolt of lightning in the blackness of a storm." (Aveyard, 250)
   
WHAT I LIKED: Strong female character, love triangle (square?), and superhuman powers. Three of my favorite things in any Young Adult Fiction. 

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: I felt Glass Sword was the typical book two, story filler. All of the build-up took place in book one, book two is just a flatline till we get to book three and the finale in book four. There was one scene of action and it was too short with not a lot of truly important things taking place. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, I will definitely be on pins and needles till book three comes out.

SERIES UPDATE: I spoke with the author, Victoria Aveyard on April 21, 2016 at TLA in Houston. She informed me that she is currently working on book #3 of the series, but wouldn't give me a title or release date at this time. 

BOOK TRAILER: uploaded by Epic Reads 










No comments:

Post a Comment