Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Walk on Earth a Stranger


cover_image

TITLE: Walk on Earth a Stranger
AUTHOR: Rae Carson
RELEASE DATE: September 2015
PUBLISHER: Greenwillow Books
PAGES: 436 pages
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Fantasy
SERIES: The Gold Seer Trilogy
OVERALL RATING: 3/5
APPROPRIATE AGE: grades 7-12 


SUMMARY: Leah Westfall can sense gold, and California is calling to her, but she can't leave her family, her farm, and everything she has worked so hard for. But when her parents are murdered and she is taken into the care of her uncle, Hiriam; she finally sees the chance to leave. Disguising herself as a boy, and enduring hardships such as the Mississippi River, buffalo stampedes, cholera, and the deserts of the west, will Leah even survive long enough to see the gold that sings to her heart?

FAVORITE QUOTE: "Rear trigger, soft breath, hair trigger, crack! Smoke puffs up as the butt kicks my shoulder. Almost two hundred yards away, the poor animal's rear legs fly out sideways, and it goes down in a cloud of dust. 
Jefferson whistles as I hand the gun back to him.
'Not bag for a girl,' says Jonas Waters.
'It's not bad for anyone,' Jefferson snaps." (Carson, )
   
WHAT I LIKED: I absolutely loved the historical fiction aspect of this book. I don't normally read Historical Fiction books, but the magic "gold seer" part of the story intrigued me. I would probably shelve this book in the Fantasy section of my library. But I love how it includes actual dates and includes such details about the hardships of the trip overland America that so many made (and didn't make) during the Gold Rush.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The ending. Completely anticlimactic! Yea, they reached California, oh no, her uncle... and then he walked away. Seriously? Seriously? I feel like there needs to be a sequel, what happens next? Does she get married? Does she find gold and become rich? 
*EDIT: I found out this series is actually a trilogy, so I take back my "What I Didn't Like Comments

SERIES UPDATE: Book Two: Like a River Glorious will be released September 27, 2016

BOOK TRAILER: Epic Reads Explains Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson







No comments:

Post a Comment