Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Everything, Everything


cover_image

TITLE: Everything, Everything
AUTHOR: Nicola Yoon
RELEASE DATE: September 2015
PUBLISHER: Delacourt Press
PAGES: 310 pages
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
OVERALL RATING: 4/5
APPROPRIATE AGE: grades 9-12


SUMMARY: Madeline Whitaker suffers from Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) or the "bubble baby disease". She has not left her house since she was a baby. But other than that, she is a typical teenage girl: she takes classes over Skype, reads like crazy and plays Phonetic Scrabble every Friday night with her doctor mother in her sterile, sealed house. Life is perfect, until Olly moves in next door, and opens her world to experiences she never knew were possible. 

FAVORITE QUOTE: "When I was younger, one of my favorite activities was imagining alternate universe versions of myself. Sometimes I was a rosy cheeked outdoorsy girl who ate flowers and hiked alone, uphill, for miles. Or I was a skydiving, drag racing, adrenaline-fueled daredevil. Or a chainmail-wearing, sword-swinging, dragon slayer. It was fun to imagine those things because I already knew who I was. Now I don't know anything. I don't know who I'm supposed to be in my new world."

WHAT I LIKED/DIDN'T LIKE: I am combining these two questions for this particular book because the thing that I loved about this story is also the thing that constantly frustrated me. When reading Maddy and Olly's conversations, I literally found myself smiling and often laughing out loud. They're funny. But as my husband would say, "Who talks like that?". I would love to find two teenagers who discuss novels like Lord of the Flies and Pride and Prejudice. Heck! Find me two teenagers who have actually read both those books!

READALIKES: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

MOVIE RELEASE: movie release May 19, 2017

BOOK TRAILER: I was unable to find an official book trailer for this novel. However I found an interview with the author, Nicola Yoon, and she describes the storyline and her inspiration behind the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment