Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Sword of Summer


cover_image

TITLE: The Sword of Summer
AUTHOR: Rick Riordan
RELEASE DATE: October 2015
PUBLISHER: Disney Hyperion
PAGES: 497 pages
SERIES: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
GENRE: Fantasy
OVERALL RATING: 4/5
APPROPRIATE AGE: grades 5-8+


SUMMARY: Magnus Chase has had a rough life. His mom died when he was eleven and his apartment was attacked by wolves with glowing eyes. Now he is a homeless teenager, living in Boston under a bridge in the Public Gardens, with only two homeless guys: Blitz and Hearth to watch over him. When his uncle tracks him down to tell him that his life is in danger and he is the only one to find a magical sword in the bottom of the bay, his life starts to get a little weird.

FAVORITE QUOTE: "My name is Magnus Chase. I'm sixteen years old. This is the story of how my life went downhill after I got myself killed."

WHAT I LIKED: As with any Rick Riordan book, I loved the voice of the narrator. Magnus tells his story while cracking jokes at the most suspenseful parts. There were many parts of the story where I found myself laughing out loud: the entire chapter about the crazy squirrel... Hilarious!
Another thing that I really loved about this book is the fact that it made me want to find more information on Norse mythology. Everyone knows about Thor, Loki, and Odin from The Avengers movie series. But did you know that there are dwarves, trolls, giants, elves, and other strange creatures in Norse mythology? 

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Other than the first one or two books in the Percy Jackson series, I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Rick Riordan's books. Its nothing against his or his books, anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely love mythology, but for some reason I just never got around to reading his books. With the knowledge I have of his series, it seems like they are all the same. Some kid finds out he is a descendant of some god: Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and all of a sudden he is thrown into a quest to save the world from an ancient evil. Rick Riordan definitely has a huge following, and that's the kind of storyline they enjoy, so he definitely can keep going as there are a whole lot of different types of mythology that he can cover. 

READALIKES: any other series by Rick Riordan: Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Red Pyramid

SERIES UPDATE: Book Two: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor is due out October 4, 2016.
BOOK TRAILER: 



No comments:

Post a Comment