Monday, March 7, 2016

The Selection


cover_image

TITLE: The Selection
AUTHOR: Kiera Cass
RELEASE DATE: April 2012
PUBLISHER: HarperTeen
PAGES: 327 pages
SERIES: Book 1 of 5 in The Selection series
GENRE: ChickLit
OVERALL RATING: 5/5
APPROPRIATE AGE: grades 7-12


SUMMARY: In a dystopian future where people are distinguished by numbers and talents, America Singer is a five with a future in music. Life is perfect, with her plans to marry Aspen, the boy next door, until her name is drawn on live television to compete against thirty-four other girls for the chance to marry, Maxon, the prince.

WHAT I LIKED: This is one of those books that I think every girl in the entire world needs to read. When I got the series in my library, I immediately checked out the first one for my mom. She had all four books and novellas finished within the week. Right now I have an English teacher hooked. When I "Book Talk" this series to my students, I tell them it is a cross between Hunger Games and The Bachelor. Gets them every time! I'm not usually into Chick Lit, and I had a hard time deciding if this series should go into Chick Lit or SciFi, because of the covers I went with ChickLit, but I already have a second set on order. 

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: I didn't like Aspen, throughout the entire book I wanted to tell (ok, scream) America to just leave that boy in her past. He was only holding her back. Seriously, how can you even begin to compare Aspen, a five, to Maxon, the prince! No contest! 

MOVIE RELEASE: in development by Warner Bros

BOOK TRAILER: 

No comments:

Post a Comment